Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Your Health Is Important



I was talking with my ex a couple of weeks ago. He was telling me about how he went to Wal-Mart to purchase a computer desk. He wasn’t able to get the box into his cart. This box weighs 50 pounds. He has spent couple of months in the hospital, earlier this year and had lost quite a bit of weight. Much of that time was spent in ICU. The nurse told him that they almost lost him at one point. So I could understand how he would have a problem with that.

Just the other day, I was talking to my ex again. I asked him, “what was the status” of him getting that computer desk. Well, he still didn’t have it. I decided to offer to help him go and get it. He is a very nice guy. But, he doesn’t have many DEPENDABLE friends.

He offers to take me out to eat as a token of appreciation, after asking if I have any plans with SJB. While we are eating, he tells me that he will have to have surgury in January. There is a gland that is overactive and his bones to loose calcium. This makes it very painful for him to get around. He said that the gland will have to be removed (I think). There are also complications from the surgury that he had earlier that was supposed to make the dialysis proceedure simpler. Among other things, those complications have caused his arm to swell and itch constantly. He has diagnosed with kidney failure at age 31.

As I listened to him describe the state of his health, I felt so terribly sad, that day. (To this day, I still feel very sad, it I think about it long enough). I bit my lip to hold back the tears. At the same time, I struggled as I tried to think of what words of encouragement I could offer. I took a deep breath and pushed the words out. I don’t remember what I said exactly.

I am writing this to encourage anyone who reads this to do more to take care of your body. With all of the advances in medicine, there are still many things that the doctor can’t fix. There is no good excuse for not taking the time to do good things for your body, such as getting regular exercise, drinking water, eating fresh fruits and vegetables (french fries and salads loaded with dressing does not count) and keeping those less heathy things in moderation.

No comments: